Wednesday, January 20, 2010

beauty from ashes

Haitian orphans are being brought to the US to be adopted! How wonderful is that?! Not just for me, lol, for them! How amazing that their government allowed this instead of just shutting everything down. For once someone thought of the motherless and fatherless! Praise God! However, I'm curious about how this is going to work. Do the families need an international homestudy? If so, there's no way to get one approved - the Haitian government is in shambles right now. How will they make these adoptions legal? Is there some type of "calamity citizenship" offered by the US for such an occasion as this? I wish I knew the answers, because boy is this a situation that's close to my heart. My dad went to Haiti when I was 4 and I remember it vividly. I still have a maraca that he brought me. That was my dream growing up - to go on a mission trip to Haiti like my dad. Well, life happens you know, and there was never an opportunity. Wouldn't it be wicked awesome to have a Haitian mission trip right here? and wouldn't it be even awesomer (haha) to fulfill one of my heart's greatest desires at the same time? Oh who knows what will happen, not me that's for sure. But I do know that our God is GREAT. And I'm so thankful that the orphans are being adopted. Even if we're not part of it, I am so full of thanksgiving for all involved with that.

2 comments:

  1. I'm also wondering how this will work. I read on an agency's site that to adopt from Haiti one adoptive parent must be at least 35 years old (which was odd to me) and as a couple you must provide documentation that you have been together for at least 10 years. (Another odd one).

    My hubby and I have only been together for 8 years and we are no where near 35 right now lol. But I didn't know if they were going to change things up because of the number of orphans they have or what!

    Only time will tell I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured they were going to put the kids in temporary/foster homes for awhile. who knows. Hopefully the government can figure something out (correctly).

    ReplyDelete