Thursday, October 21, 2010

random

Just some thoughts I needed to get out there. We'll begin with my respiratory therapy related thoughts. First of all - I don't care if people smoke. Honest, cross my heart. Frankly, it's your choice (and it provides job security for me) :o) BUT dear parents: if you child is a patient of mine, that means they are having trouble breathing. Going out to smoke every 2 hours, or more, and bringing that residual secondhand smoke back into that tiny little hospital room is NOT helping. At the very least, put on a coat with a hood so it doesn't get caught in your hair and clothes, and then put the coat in a bag before you come back into the room. It's for you child's sake. Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea to put into practice at home either. Again, I don't care if people smoke, but if you're going to, protect your little one from it as much as you can. That's all I had to say. Also, on the respiratory related topics - sometimes I get sick of seeing our regular patients all the time. And I'm sure they're sick of being there and seeing me. But, when we're getting near the end I wish the families would just let go..... and let them go. It breaks my heart to watch them suffer - sometimes it's kinder to just let go. When it's the end, it's the end. I wonder about myself sometimes for wishing people could just die - but it's only so that they can be out of that misery. It's just hard to watch week after week. And for the families out there that did make that hard choice to let them go without prolonging anything I want you to know that most of the medical staff is silently applauding you.

No comments:

Post a Comment